Each person knows what color of the chair is normal for him, and notices when the excrement takes on an unusual color. Light feces, both in a child and in an adult, can talk about diseases that cannot be ignored in order to avoid serious consequences. It is important to pay attention to the symptoms that accompany discoloration of the stool.
Why is feces light color: possible causes
The stool of a healthy person consists of the remnants of food consumed in the last 2-3 days. In normal condition, the color of feces varies from light brown to dark brown, the texture is dense, there is no specific smell and impurities. If you notice the appearance of unusually light bowel movements, do not make hasty conclusions and panic. Possible reasons must be identified. A change in the color of feces provokes:
- physiological processes;
- different diseases.
In an adult
Discolored excrement in an adult is associated with eating large amounts of fatty foods. For example, sour cream or butter. In this case, a change in the color of feces does not cause discomfort to a person. Review your diet, eliminate fatty foods and eat a diet. After a few days, the stool normalizes.
The clarification of feces is affected by the use of drugs. For example, antibiotics, antifungal, oral contraceptives. You should stop taking the medicine and consult your doctor to prescribe therapeutic measures. A great danger is the change in color of the stool, accompanied by an increase in body temperature and pain of varying intensity in the abdomen.
The color of feces signals the work of the liver and pancreas. During pregnancy, the organs of a woman work with increased stress. Clarification of feces is associated with a pathological condition, accompanied by a malfunction of the digestive process. The source of light feces in pregnant women becomes dysbiosis or excessive enthusiasm for multivitamin complexes. You should contact your doctor to prescribe the necessary treatment.
A sign of what disease can be light feces
Clarification of feces provokes diseases that disrupt the normal functioning of the liver, pancreas and gastrointestinal tract. Try to evaluate your well-being. How has your health changed in the last days, weeks, months? Remember what diseases you suffered in the recent past. If light stool is associated with diseases, the following symptoms are often observed:
- general weakness;
- increase in body temperature;
- stomach ache;
- yellow color of the skin and eye sclera;
- dark urine
- nausea, vomiting;
- loss of appetite and weight loss;
- unexplained increase in the volume of the abdomen;
- skin rash.
If you find an unusual change in the color of feces, accompanied by a sharp deterioration in health, immediately consult your doctor. He will give direction to undergo tests, on the basis of which he will identify the reason for lightening the stool and prescribe the appropriate therapy. It is extremely dangerous to ignore your unsatisfactory condition, this can be a sign of serious illness:
- Hepatitis A. The development of inflammatory liver disease caused by toxic, infectious or alcohol poisoning is indicated by pulling pains in the right side, indigestion, yellow skin tone. Without therapy, the disease leads to cirrhosis.
- Cholecystitis. Inflammation of the gallbladder is accompanied by acute abdominal pain, decreased appetite, fever, and nausea. Feces with cholecystitis have a liquid consistency, sometimes with the remnants of undigested food.
- Pancreatitis. Inflammation occurs as a result of malnutrition, alcohol abuse, infectious diseases of internal organs and medications. The acute phase of pancreatitis is accompanied by cutting abdominal pain, vomiting, diarrhea.
- Crohn’s disease. Chronic digestive system disorder caused by allergic reactions, psychosomatic and infectious diseases is manifested by lightening bowel movements, vomiting, fever, and the frequent appearance of blood in the feces.
- Cancer of the digestive tract. The development of malignant neoplasms on the internal organs is asymptomatic. The first signs appear when the tumor reaches a certain size. Among the symptoms, doctors distinguish: pain in the abdominal cavity, constipation or diarrhea, vomiting, lack of appetite, sudden weight loss.
Light brown stool
Human consumption of predominantly plant foods leads to lightening of feces. This is not a pathology and does not pose a risk to your health. With the accelerated passage of digestive masses through the colon, the stool acquires a light brown color. Introduction to the diet of protein products and fractional nutrition normalize the digestive tract.
Human feces acquire an unnatural shade with excessive consumption of food colors, which are found in large quantities in sweet water, alcoholic beverages, and sweets. Passion for herbal preparations, biologically active additives leads to staining of the stool in a greenish tint. After refusing products, the color of feces is restored within 3-5 days. In other cases, green feces is a symptom of diseases:
- Dysbacteriosis. Violation of the intestinal microflora is accompanied by fluid bowel movements with a specific putrefactive odor.
- Acute enterocolitis. Inflammation of the gastrointestinal tract in acute form is accompanied by discomfort and sharp abdominal pain, diarrhea, and vomiting. Feces have a green tint with traces of pus.
- Infectious diseases of the gastrointestinal tract are manifested by a general weakness of a person, nausea, and an increase in body temperature. The feces become light green and contain impurities of blood, pus or mucus.
The color of feces is affected by bilirubin, secreted together with bile liver. From a medical point of view, yellow stool in a healthy person is a normal phenomenon. Your concern should be beige feces. This may mean that the liver unstably produces bilirubin or that the bile ducts are narrowed. To identify the causes, consult your doctor who will conduct an examination and prescribe appropriate therapy.
Dark urine and white feces
The gray color of the bowel movements combined with the urine color of “strong tea” is an alarming sign of the acute phase of hepatitis. Inflammation of the liver leads to a violation of the function of bile formation, which becomes the cause of whitening feces. In hepatitis, bilirubin produced by the body is excreted through the kidneys and skin, so urine acquires a dark color, and the skin becomes yellow.
What to do and what treatment to take
To normalize the color of the stool, doctors advise giving up food and taking medications that provoke a change in the color of the stool. You need to drink non-carbonated water about 2 liters per day, adhere to a diet. Exclude foods that enhance the process of fermentation in the intestines: milk, bread, legumes, beets, cabbage, sweet, spicy and fatty dishes. Consult a doctor who will identify the causes of stool discoloration and prescribe treatment.