At the mention of this disease, many people have associations with colic in the abdomen. These are actually two different things. The ailment in question is inflammation of the intestine. With an exacerbation of this disease, a person experiences a lot of discomfort, and the lack of proper treatment leads to sad consequences. Knowing this, you should be more careful about your health. Examine intestinal colitis, its symptoms, and adult treatment to know how to deal with a health hazard. So, let’s discuss this problem in more detail.
What is colitis?
Colitis is nothing but inflammation of the internal mucous membrane of the large intestine. This dangerous disease can occur due to various circumstances. The most common causes of intestinal colitis include the following factors:
- Presence of intestinal infection in the body. The causative agents of colitis can be numerous bacteria, fungi, viruses and protozoa.
- Long-term use of powerful antibiotics and other drugs. It can be laxatives, antipsychotics, etc.
- Disruption of blood circulation in the intestines. This factor often leads to inflammation of the colon in the elderly.
- Malnutrition. Intestinal colitis can develop with excessive consumption of animal / flour foods, abuse of spicy foods / alcohol and one-time meals.
- Hereditary factors. If one of your parents has had chronic inflammation of the colon, be on the lookout.
- Helminth infection. In the absence of proper treatment, helminthic invasions lead to inflammation of the large intestine and other diseases of the digestive tract.
Symptoms of Bowel Inflammation
Medicine distinguishes several varieties of intestinal colitis. Each of them is distinguished by its etiology, pathogenesis, symptoms, and diagnosis. A detailed study of all these aspects is a challenge for doctors. The average citizen needs to have at least a general idea of the manifestations of these diseases in order to know when it is necessary to seek medical help. In the list below, you will find common symptoms common to all types of intestinal colitis:
- Discomfort / pain in the lower abdomen. Such manifestations accompany intestinal colitis in 90% of cases. The aggravation of pain is noted after carrying out therapeutic procedures, eating, and exposure to mechanical factors (shaking in transport, running, walking, etc.).
- Tenesmus (false urge to defecate). This symptom may indicate a number of gastrointestinal diseases. In this regard, colitis is characterized by the rare appearance of tenesmus – no more than two to three times a day. If the inflammatory process is localized in the sigmoid or rectum, the urge becomes more painful. As a rule, they occur at night and end with the release of small amounts of feces. In some cases, there are impurities of blood / mucus / pus.
- Upset (unstable chair). This symptom cannot be considered the main one, however, if there are other signs, it can indicate intestinal colitis with a high degree of accuracy. The main difference between the stool in this disease and all other cases is the admixture of greenish or colorless streaks of mucus and / or drops of dark blood.
- Heaviness in the stomach.
To determine the type of disease more specifically, you need to pay attention to characteristic signs and symptoms. Some of them are not so easy to fix, however, with careful monitoring of the state of health, you can still make a preliminary diagnosis with a high degree of accuracy.
The fight against inflammation of the large intestine is a complex long process during which the patient is forbidden to consume harmful products and expose himself to intense physical exertion. Traditional medicine practices the treatment of colitis with medicines in the form of tablets and injections. Along with this, there are many effective folk recipes for fighting intestinal inflammation. The combination of techniques provides the fastest recovery.