Every adult at least once in his life after a festive feast experienced a hangover syndrome. Vomiting during a hangover causes special troubles and discomfort; it can “knock out” a person for a long time. What caused such an unpleasant symptom, in what ways you can get rid of it at home, and in which cases you need to seek medical help, everyone needs to know.
Why does vomiting occur during a hangover?
The main cause of hangover vomiting is the presence of ethyl alcohol in alcoholic beverages. When alcohol enters the body, the liver begins to rapidly produce enzymes that break down ethanol into acetic acid and water, which eventually pass through the urinary system. But before ethyl alcohol turns into acid, it is converted into a toxic substance – acetaldehyde. In some people, acetaldehyde breaks down quickly, in others – slowly, as a result, intoxication (poisoning) of the body occurs.
If a person is disturbed by headaches, vomiting, nausea in the morning, and severe thirst, then he has a hangover syndrome. Other serious factors that cause hangover vomiting are:
- Individual intolerance to alcohol.
- Drinking strong drinks on an empty stomach.
- Disorders in the digestive tract (gastritis, pancreatitis, ulcer).
- When drinking alcohol, blood vessels suffer, they constantly expand and contract, and microthrombi (blood clots) appear in them that block the flow of oxygen to the brain.
- Drunk too much dose of strong drinks.
- Intoxication of the body.
- Poor alcohol.
How to get rid of a hangover nausea
It is necessary to deal with the symptoms of a hangover comprehensively, in severe cases, the help of doctors is needed. The following actions will help to quickly eliminate the unpleasant consequences of a feast:
- To prevent dehydration, you need to drink plenty of water (from 1.5 to 3 liters).
- To saturate the body with vitamin C and reduce nausea, gagging in water, it is recommended to add a little lemon juice.
- Go out into the fresh air.
- Sorbents will help to remove toxins.
- If a severe headache and nausea are felt during a hangover, it is necessary to empty the stomach, independently inducing vomiting. You should drink plenty of fluids. Gastric lavage is carried out until only water comes out during vomiting.
- An enema will help get rid of intoxication.
Often people who have a hangover syndrome use the advice of friends who not only do not help, but also harm. In order not to aggravate an already unpleasant situation, with a hangover it is strictly forbidden:
- Treated with alcoholic beverages. This can cause severe intoxication and vomiting.
- Exercise, drive vehicles.
- To smoke. Nicotine can cause vomiting during a hangover and significantly worsen the patient’s condition.
- Drinking caffeinated drinks can trigger a stroke or heart attack.
- Visit the sauna or bathhouse. Due to high temperatures that negatively affect the cardiovascular system, fainting, loss of consciousness, or dizziness can occur.
- Conduct therapy with painkillers, anti-inflammatory or antipyretic drugs. Such drugs will not have a therapeutic effect, and most of them are incompatible with alcohol, which can provoke an allergic reaction.
If you do not have the necessary medicines at hand, and it is not possible to call a doctor, you can use home remedies. When you feel sick and vomit from a hangover they will come to the rescue:
- Water treatments. A 10-15 minute reception of a contrast shower – alternating (every 20 seconds) cool and warm water helps to release residual ethyl alcohol through the skin pores, increases muscle tone, restores pressure, gives the body a boost of vigor. Taking a shower, visiting a bath or sauna after a feast is prohibited for people suffering from diseases of the cardiovascular system.
- Brine treatment. An overdose of alcohol leads to dehydration and loss of magnesium by the body. It is important to restore the water balance in time, bring the acid-base environment back to normal. To prevent vomiting, a large amount of drunk acid-salty liquid will help – cucumber, cabbage or beet brine. This drink is rich in vitamins and minerals.
- Mineral water, fermented milk products (kefir), sour juices and fruit drinks also help relieve nausea, abdominal pain, and vomiting.
- Raw egg – envelops the walls of the stomach, binds toxins, soothes the feeling of nausea.
- Power adjustment
Many people experience hunger during a hangover. In order not to aggravate nausea and not aggravate the state of your health, you need to be careful about the choice of dishes, giving preference to light and wholesome food. Best suited:
- Banana. This fruit is very satisfying and healthy. During a hangover, the body is sorely lacking in potassium, which is necessary for normal heart function and stimulation of metabolic processes. The banana contains a large amount of this trace element.
- Rice porridge cooked in water with the addition of fruits or vegetables serves as a sorbent. From tomatoes and zucchini, you can make vegetable gravy for porridge, drink it better with tomato juice. It is useful to drink sweet (with fruit) rice porridge with infusion of rosehip and honey (rich in vitamin C) or unsweetened compote of dried fruits.
- Tea with ginger root. This drink relieves nausea, bloating.
- Fennel or anise seeds must be chewed.
- Citrus fruits are rich in vitamin C, but you should not eat them with heartburn.
- Chamomile herbal tea or a drink with St. John’s wort – soothe the stomach.
- Chicken stock with crackers.
- Oatmeal with sugar. Restores a lack of glucose in the blood, gently affects the stomach.
- Leafy vegetables – sorrel, spinach, watercress.
- Beans, nuts, beans.
- Yoghurts without additives.
- Dark chocolate.
Some foods should be excluded from your diet for several days. When vomiting, nausea is not recommended to eat:
- Fatty, fried, spicy. Such food overloads the liver.
- Concentrated lemon or orange juices. They can cause allergies and exacerbate the symptoms of poisoning.
- High fat cheese. The stomach will not be able to digest such a product, which can increase nausea.
- Coffee and caffeinated drinks – put a big strain on the heart.
- Alcoholic beverages, even with a low alcohol content, cause exacerbation of a hangover.
When to see a doctor
With mild alcohol poisoning, the result of which is nausea, you can cope at home using medications or alternative medicine. In severe cases, self-medication will only bring harm, it is urgent to call an ambulance. The intervention of doctors is necessary in the following cases:
- A sharp severe headache that does not disappear after vomiting, confusion, pain in the orbits, double vision. All these symptoms can indicate a microstroke, which arose due to hypertension and damage to small blood vessels.
- Vomiting from a hangover with blood. Such a symptom may indicate internal damage to the digestive system, an open stomach ulcer.
- A sharp drop in body temperature, pallor, tremor, weakness, cyanosis are signs of serious alcohol poisoning.
- Vomiting with a bile hangover.
- Gushing gagging that is difficult to stop leads to critical dehydration.